[reportlab-users] ReportLab vs LaTex

crp2006 at shaw.ca crp2006 at shaw.ca
Wed Dec 27 00:43:24 EST 2006

Hi all!

Our workplace may be able to use ReportLab's properties to good avail. We
have committed to being a Python shop, so that fits. We do some publishing
that involves basically the same text (minor changes every 6 months, say)
but detailed database queries that we need to run into tables and graphs
(ReportLab has some very nice graphical facilities!).

We might need indices and bibliographies - are there ReportLab facilities
for that sort of thing? How do these compare to LaTex?
How about mathematical equations and other math typesetting? Is there
support for that (it isn't necessary, but it might be handy so I threw that
in. . .).

How about just plain text formatting? Are the results comparable to LaTex?

It would be possible to use ReportLab to do some database queries, snag the
numbers and then spit out the -always-the-same LaTex code and start the pdf
creation process. . . Is this a silly route to take?

Thanks for any input on this! Without being an expert in both systems it is
impossible to really have an accurate idea as to what might be best.

Sincerely,

-Warren