[reportlab-users] font weights

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Mon Dec 4 02:25:14 EST 2006

Chris Withers wrote:

> Hi All,

> Feeling a bit feeble minded this late at night...

> I have a TTF font that I'm using and I'd like to emphasise a word in the

> middle of a textobject output stream. The font I'm using has no bold

> variant.

> How can I get a bold word?

Change fonts.

> How would this differ if the TTF did have a bold version available?

You'd still have to switch to a bold font. "Arial Bold" and "Arial"
are two different fonts (e.g. on my Windows machine, "arial.ttf" and
"arialb.ttf"). I believe TrueType can pack several fonts into one file,
but we don't expose this if it does. With Type 1, there's definitely
only one face per font.

Sorry to bear bad news...

- Andy