[reportlab-users] Clearing display page

David H bluepaul at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 27 19:34:40 EDT 2006

Robin Becker wrote:

> David H wrote:
>
>> Hi ReportLab List,
>>
>> I have an Zope application that uses ReportLab to generate acrobat
>> viewable reports.
>> Heres the problem:
>> I display an acrobat report (Firefox or IE 6) and say scroll down to
>> page 10.  I then use the <browser> back button to re-enter my Zope
>> application.
>>
>> Now, even if my users click various pages and then return to the
>> Report (which is always freshly generated) it will try to re-display
>> at page 10 - instead of top of page.  This occurs even if the data
>> being rewported has changed.  This occurs even if a different report
>> is generated!
>>
>> Note: that I use
>>
>> import tempfile and
>> tmpFile2 = tempfile.mktemp() to keep pdfPath's unique.
>>
>> Anyway around this or suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks for any help,
>>
>> David H
>>
>> I'm using ReportLab 1.20, Zope 2.78 and an external python script +
>> ReportLab to generate the PDFs.  The Server is Linux Ubuntu 5.10.

> Though I suspect this is more to do with the client than the server
> there's one thing you might check. Try randomising the URL that's used
> on the server. Instead of thing.pdf try thing.pdf?random=12345 where
> 12345 should be a random number. That might inhibit the client caching
> anything. Alternatively persuade zope to puch all the right headers to
> force the client to belive the content is fresh each time. We do this
> sort of thing a lot, but the content url is almost always fairly
> random ie contains a date + some random string.

Robin,
Your suggestion was interesting and I tried it.  But no joy.  I've tried
some other stuff (messing with content-disposition, etc) and nothing is
working.  Fortunetely, this problem isn't a "show stopper" but it is an
annoyance.  Maybe its an acrobat issue.

Maybe i'll kick it to the zope list.  If I find out why this happens
i'll post it here.

All best,

David