[reportlab-users] integration with .net

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Thu Aug 10 12:24:46 EDT 2006

GRANDE Adam wrote:

> Im just wondering if its possible to create a functionality within
> vb.net to automatically compile and show the reports created with the
> report toolkit.
>
> So I would create the report with the toolkit, and use a button to
> fire off the compilation/viewing of a report according to a
> variable/value supplied. Ie. A user id.

Well, remember that ReportLab is not really a "report toolkit".  It is a
PDF creation toolkit.  You can certainly write Python scripts to query a
database, and use the results of those queries to construct PDF files
(in fact, that is by far my most common use of ReportLab), but it's not
like using Crystal Reports.  You are formatting each field and placing
it on the paper programmatically.

Your VB.NET program could certainly launch the Python scripts to create
the PDF.  However, ReportLab does NOT include anything to view PDF
files.  Again, your VB.NET program could launch the Acrobat Reader after
the PDF was created, or you could add an Internet Explorer window to
your app and display the PDF there.

If you really want a drop-in reporting solution for VB.NET, there are
lots of good options available, including the venerable Crystal Reports.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.