[reportlab-users] TTFError: Can't open "ARIALBD.TTF"

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Fri Apr 7 12:33:46 EDT 2006

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 01:10:34 -0500,  "Patrick Sokol" <psokol at cox.net> wrote:

>Hopefully i can get some help.
>not really sure what I'm doing - purchased a program called PDF Script Pilot because I would like customer and agents to be able to go online and fill out an applications and generate a PDF.
>Anyway followed the testing directions for the server and all was well.  I've done what the instrcutions in the programed said to do.
>I've put a sample form up on the web and when I went to submit it this is what I got:
>A problem occurred in a Python script. Here is the sequence of function calls leading up to the error, in the order they occurred.

What led you to believe that this would work on Linux?  I don't see
anything on their web site that implies Linux support at all.  It seems
to be exclusively a Windows product.

That's certainly what the error implies.  ARIALBD.TTF is Arial Bold,
which is a Microsoft font, supplied with Windows.  It is not shipped
with Linux.  If I were making a cross-platform product, I would have
used Helvetica, which is available everywhere Acrobat lives.

Alternatively, Microsoft did make their core fonts (including Arial
Bold) available for Linux users at one point.  You can fetch them from
http://corefonts.sourceforge.net.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.