[reportlab-users] Printing problems

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Fri Sep 16 15:39:25 EDT 2005

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 09:55:54 +0100, "Andy Robinson" <andy at reportlab.com>
wrote:

>Some of our users proved this a few years ago.  Essentially
>cheaper inkjets tend to need a 'y shift' and 'y scale' correction
>for each printer.  More expensive workgroup printers used by
>design professionals can be trusted because the manufacturers
>known accuracy is expected.  (And it explains why I always had
>trouble with Christmas card labels in my youth...).
>
>Write your app with dx and dy parameters set to 0, and scalex/scaley
>to 1.0, somewhere at the top of the script.  When you start each
>page use the canvas scale/translate operators once.  Then you
>can write something 'pure', and globally adjust it on 2-3 tries
>on a new printer.

For what it's worth, I also struggled with this problem when generating
labels from a web page.  They print perfectly on my own printer, but
were offset in Y on other printers.  I finally had to break down and add
an "Enter top margin:" option.  I had people send me a sample printout,
and I would tell them what value to use.  They just had to remember to
do it the same way every time.

I suppose if I were a real man, I would have stored it in a cookie...

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.