[reportlab-users] Printing problems

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Fri Sep 16 04:55:54 EDT 2005

> So basically, some printers print accurately, while others make
> some changes?
>
> If so, that's quite painful.  How do you set a printer to print
> to labels if
> you can't trust it to print accurately?

Some of our users proved this a few years ago.  Essentially
cheaper inkjets tend to need a 'y shift' and 'y scale' correction
for each printer.  More expensive workgroup printers used by
design professionals can be trusted because the manufacturers
known accuracy is expected.  (And it explains why I always had
trouble with Christmas card labels in my youth...).

Write your app with dx and dy parameters set to 0, and scalex/scaley
to 1.0, somewhere at the top of the script.  When you start each
page use the canvas scale/translate operators once.  Then you
can write something 'pure', and globally adjust it on 2-3 tries
on a new printer.

- Andy