[reportlab-users] Cansplit attribute for tables which go over the length of a page?

Sam Hunter shunter at dbsupply.com
Thu Oct 13 18:52:37 EDT 2005

Hi, I'm trying to write a python script to generate PDF reports from a
database.  Usually the data will all fit on one page, but in some cases
it will not.  I have been trying to figure out how to get a table to
split when it is longer than a page, but I haven't had much success.  I
have a very simple layout, some Text objects, and a graphic at the top
of my page, and then the table at the bottom, and on to the second page
if necessary.
In the Userguide, it mentions that tables "can split across multiple
pages if needed (see the canSplit attribute)."  But I can't find any
other references to canSplit in the user guide.  I searched the
tables.py file, but can't find any occurrences of canSplit there
either.  Am I missing something here?  Or doing this totally wrong?  I
see that in the ch6_tables.py, a table is split, but I don't see how the
code works.

If anyone could post a simple example of splitting a table without just
counting rows and creating a new page + table that would be great :)

thanks,

Sam