[reportlab-users] PDF forms

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Mon Nov 28 19:03:52 EST 2005

> Might be missing something, but python fully supports cgi apps.  So, you
> could use a python cgi app to process the request parameters and
> generate the pdf.  This could run along side perl cgi apps, or other.
> Just a webserver configuration thing.  Hope this helps.

We've been building cgi-based applications for customers for years,
and despite a few experiments we have no plans to move away.  One
of these handle amazing peak loads at the end of the financial year;
they import our library on every hit, and produce 20-age fully
personalized contracts in very small print in 2secs on average
hardware.

CGI in Python has some overhead, but that is small compared to
generating a PDF document.  On the plus side it scales linearly,
makes life much simpler than stateful processes when you run it
on clusters, is ultra-stable and easy to support and debug, and works
everywhere.

Just my 2p worth,

Andy Robinson