[reportlab-users] italic fonts

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Tue Nov 22 07:26:23 EST 2005

Alex Greif wrote:
> Hi,
>
> how can I create italic output in the PDF of a font that has no italic
> version of the ttf file?
> an example is comic.ttf that has a comicbd.ttf bold version but no
> italic version

I think you probably can't.

Do you want to do whole paragraphs in platypus, or just a few short strings?

It would be theoretically possible to skew the text matrix with
enough study of the PDF spec and some affine transformations, but that
depends how badly you want to do it ;-)

It's also possible to declare the font family so that it reverts to,
say, Helvetica-Oblique for the italic bits.

- Andy