[reportlab-users] Questions about generating documents

Michael Eager eager at eagercon.com
Fri Nov 18 22:59:20 EST 2005

I'm new to ReportLab, trying to understand how it fits
together.  Perhaps someone can answer a couple questions
and help me clear away some confusion.

I'm not understanding the relationship between frames,
the canvas, and how to use them with a DocTemplate.  I
created a page layout with three frames.  One has a fixed
logo which should appear on each page.  The second has
mostly fixed text, but with a changing page number.
The third frame contains a table which can be larger
than can be contained within a single frame.  I'm
somewhat confused about how to generate multiple
pages.  If I fill up the data frame with part of the
table, then call canvas.showPage, it generates the
first page correctly, but the logo and fixed text
do not appear on the second page.

Is this the best way to construct a document?

If I create a DocTemplate with multiple frames, it
seems that data is flowed into each frame in turn.
Is there any way to exclude frames from this, or
to specify that the data is to be flowed into only
specific frames?

Is there a way to create a document "on the fly"
as data is generated?  It seems that the doc.build()
method expects all of the data to be available before
it is called.

Michael Eager	 eager at eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077