[reportlab-users] plotting points on a jpg

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Wed Nov 9 14:40:51 EST 2005

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 11:37:06AM -0800, Britt Hibbert wrote:

> I am trying to plot points, along with labels, on a jpg image. I
> have a graph that is split into four quadrants,  and have to place
> points in various sections of these quadrants based on specific
> data. As an example of this, I have been looking at how the pdfmap
> tool does this.
> I am planning on using a jpg image as a background and plotting
> points on top of this jpg, using the canvas object. Before I get too
> far into this, I am just wondering if there is a higher level way of
> doing this. My use of reportlab so far has been limited to Platypus
> and Flowables, so I am a little wary of diving into canvas objects
> and then integrating this with my current use of flowables. Is there
> a higher level way of doing what I need, or examples posted
> somewhere of how to do this?

pdfmap directly deals with the canvas object, so maybe this is not
what you want. Anyway, maybe you could convert the informations about
your points to pdfmap's input format, and see what happens. My guess is
that pdfmap can do what you want, but it depends on if you want to do
more complex things or not.

bye,

Jerome Alet