[reportlab-users] Still confused about PIL Image objects

Sam Hunter shunter at dbsupply.com
Wed May 11 12:10:01 EDT 2005

Hey Ian, I had the same problem and it was a serious pain.  I finally
just re-wrote some of the Reportlab code so that it could handle PIL
images passed directly into the canvas.drawImage() function.  I can send
you the three files I had to change if you like.

The other option is to use StringIO, save the PIL image to a StringIO
object, and then pass that in to canvas.drawImage() or make an
ImageReader object with it.  I forget which works in the non-modified
version.  The funny part about all of this is that if you are using
ImageReader it defaults to opening anything without a JPEG extension
with PIL, and the comments in the JPEG code suggest that PIL should be
used for that too.

StringIO is kinda funny..  as far as I can tell, you can create either a
readable, or a writable object, but one object doesn't seem to do both?
Perhaps I'm confused here....  But I think the code below should work.

Sam

The StringIO option goes something like this:
#----------------------------------
Im = Image.open("imagefile.jpg")
#do some operations on the image......

#then convert to a StringIO object

from cStringIO import StringIO  # "cStringIO" is faster, but if you need
to subclass, use "StringIO"
writeSIO = StringIO()  #create an empty writeable StringIO object

Im.save(writeSIO, format="JPEG")

readSIO = writeSIO.getvalue()   #create a readable StringIO object

ir = ImageReader(readSIO)

canvas.drawImage(ir, x, y, xsize, ysize)