[reportlab-users] Another tables patch

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Thu Mar 17 05:56:37 EST 2005

Hello.  Please find attached an additional patch.  This one is against
the SVN trunk, revision 2539 (current as of this writing).  It is
intended to be applied by cd-ing into the platypus directory and then
the usual "patch -p0 <platypuspatch".  As you can see, it mainly
patches tables.py, but has a small change to paragraph.py.

This patch does three things.

First, the patch I sent yesterday included one diff that didn't make it
to the checkin yesterday: without it, the join code breaks.  Without
the changes, the code also barely avoids stomping on the following
arguments, if provided, such as linecount.  Today's patch reinstates
the fixes.  The change is the last one listed in the tables.py portion
of the patch.  (I'm not even sure if specifying a join in a table
actually has a visible effect because of the way the lines are drawn,
but the code is there so it might as well be correct.)

Second, today's patch includes code to make a much better guess about
column widths in the case of a table with both non-fixed-width
flowables, such as paragraphs, and columns without absolute widths
specified (None or '*'; maybe code should also check for percentages).
It respects percentage requests as much as possible while doing its
best to give columns the minimum width they need.  Widths of '*', if
present, are considered greedy in comparison to widths of None.
Another part of the change is that if the total table width is greater
than the available space it no longer raises an error: I think this is
an improvement, but I could be mistaken.  In total, this part of the
patch a very nice improvement and works well in my code.  It exercises
the Flowable.minWidth method to a greater degree than before, so it
might expose some problems in other flowables...which leads to the last
change.

Third, the patch includes simple code for paragraphs.py that handles
the edge case of minWidth for a paragraph with no content.

I hope you can use the patch.

Thanks

Gary