[reportlab-users] Really long words

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Tue Jun 28 10:23:15 EDT 2005

> I hope the reason reportlab lacks such hyphenation is merely that no
> one has yet implemented it.  Have there been any serious efforts so
> far?

Not that I know - some non-serious ones.  I would however add that
our paragraph code does not make it easy.  The paragraph code was
written to be as fast as it possibly can be in Python, rather than
a general "object oriented" approach which might have packed
horizontal boxes onto lines.  The latter would have made it easier to
get into.

It would be great if someone could have a go, but they need
to reserve the first few hours for understanding the current
algorithm.  IMHO it should be possible to test a wrapping
algorithm very effectively with something like doctest,
and the standard fonts and metrics.

- Andy