[reportlab-users] Naive Question

andy at reportlab.com andy at reportlab.com
Thu Jun 9 07:05:40 EDT 2005

The open source one is a library.  You create a Canvas object and
execute graphics commands;
or, at a higher level, create a list of Paragraph, Table and Image
objects;
then tell a document template (which is another complex class) to
render it.
It's free and presumes you are happy to do everything in Python.

RML2PDF exposes the same library (with additions) as a strictt XML
markup language.
This makes it just like web development - use ASP, JSP, XSLT, our own
preppy or
whatever you want to generate markup, and let RML2PDF do the rest. It's
expensive
(enterprise-priced, five figures) but much more productive. It's geared
to companies wanting
to do substantial jobs which change a business process away from print
or manual publishing, while
staying with a standard web development skill set..

The user guides for both are on the site...

Best Regards,

Andy Robinson
CEO/Chief Architect
ReportLab Europe Ltd.