[reportlab-users] contribute some code to reportlab/barcode

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Fri Jul 15 13:04:40 EDT 2005

Sébastien Kirche wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I  have written some  code to  add support  for UPC  & EAN  symbology to
> reportlab's barcode extension and I  think that it could be incorporated
> to the current code.
>
> I sent a message to Tyler C.Sarna  who seems to be the author of barcode
> (given the package headers) but i get no answer yet.
>
> Does anyone  have any pointer about  how to contribute  that code and/or
> how to contact the author ?
>
> The best would  be to get in touch  with Tyler, so i could  ask him some
> questions to suit the existing code and talk about some development.
>
> Maybe he is in vacation and i am not enough patient ?
>
> Any help appreciated.

First off, thanks for wanting to contribute. Ty Sarna seems to be quite active
in Zope land
(http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=U&start=1&q=http://www.zope.org/Members/tsarna&e=912),
but I don't know if that's the place to locate him.

If your code is merely a user of his code via imports then I see no reason why
you shouldn't just contribute it; we could then create an extra barcode
extension and it would mention that the earlier one is needed. I guess the
problem comes if you want to modify his original code. The license allows it
provided you keep the original attribution etc etc.

Adding your own attribution etc is probably OK provided you don't mess with the
licensing, but I'm not a lawyer.