[reportlab-users] painting an image over another

Michele Simionato michele.simionato at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 04:33:52 EST 2005

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 09:00:34 +0000, Robin Becker <robin at reportlab.com> wrote:

> I guess Andy is assuming that you know which bits of your second image
> are to be regarded as transparent by colour. I think if the image has
> transparency (like some gifs) then you can use the string 'auto' for the
> mask. If on the other hand you need to mask off parts geometrically you
> need to set up a clipping path.
> --
> Robin Becker

As you may have guessed, my experience with image manipulation is zero.
Is it possible to do something akin to the technique used in cartoons, superpose
images drawn on transparent sheets? In my case the white color should
be regarded as transparent . FYI, I have ".jpg" images but I could
convert them into ".gif" if needed.

    Michele Simionato

P.S.cropping images would not work in my case, but just for my personal
information, is that a way to automatically extract the non-blank part of
an image? I mean in my "Image 1" example, extracting the rectangle
with "###" as a subimage of the entire picture *without* giving it the
coordinates, i.e. the system should figure out automagically the position
and size of the largest non-blank rectangle in the picture.