[reportlab-users] ReportLab Visual Tools separate mailing list

Spruce Weber timberdig at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 13:45:43 EST 2005

I recently began toying with the idea of using Reportlab's Table
class, with it's spanning and formatting capabilities, for simplified
creation of layouts - like what is commonly done with Excel
spreadsheets. For database reporting, if one Table flowable is used
per record and per group and page header/footer, gui creation could be
implemented using a grid. wxGrid provides cell spanning and custom
cell rendering along with some decent default renderers, but I don't
think it provides methods for modifying the lines between cells except
for global color and visibility. Still, I plan to go with WX since QT
licensing is prohibitive for my employers needs.

Some background: I'm porting an Access project (.adp) to a stand-alone
wxPython app because I'm tired of battling with VBA and Access "you
can't do that from here" limitations and instabilities. Users still
need to be able to create their own queries and reports. I think the
precise positioning provided by Access' report designer is more than
what my users need, and that a grid with spanning, alignment, font and
line formatting would be sufficient.

Best Regards,

Spruce