[reportlab-users] RE: Visual editor: what are the objectives?

ma-zo at gmx.at ma-zo at gmx.at
Tue Dec 6 03:39:43 EST 2005

Every toolkit has advantages and disadvantages. The differences are minimal
and depend on
 your private preferences. wx, gtk provides every year a new major
release... so often the
 opinions are based on products out of date...

 The first step in software development is getting requirements....
 So why discuss about Toolkits ? Its a implementation detail...

 In the long list i found only the two requirements with consent :

 * easy installable (=> provide binaries, see py2exe)
 * dynamic data input (from oracle, mysql, pythonscript, .???)
 * A GUI (whats inside ? Which functionality ?)

 I want to add additional basic requirements:

 * cross platform (Windows, Linux => Qt is not GPL under windows).
 * license L-GPL.
 * please do not implement the 100001st 2-D drawing application (good
examples for gtk-drawing applications are incscape and dia).

 I suggest to write a generic core framework (without gui dependencies,
"batch mode", ...) and everybody
 can write its own GUI-frontend (with Tk, pygtk, QT, wx, fltk, XUL, AJAX,
.... )