[reportlab-users] Flowables, again

Nicholas Wieland nicholas_wieland at yahoo.it
Tue Aug 2 04:53:13 EDT 2005

Ok, I'm an idiot, it was obviously "cover.pdf", not "cover.py" :)
Now I have my cover.pdf, but it's empty. From what I understood from the documentation Frame should call myFlowable.draw (), so why my flowable isn't displayed on the canvas ??? I like this approach to PDF generation, but I'm having a lot of trubles ...

Also, the documentation on PageTemplate and BaseDocTemplate is a bit foggy. SimpleDocTemplate is really cute and I enjoyed reading the source, but IMHO it masks a bit the usage of BaseDocTemplate with PageTemplate, the "real thing" :) AFAICT I don't have to instantiate a canvas with BaseDocTemplate, it just passes it's own canvas to PageTemplates, Frames, Flowables and so on, so why Frame.addFromList (list, *canvas*) ? If I have a BaseDocTemplate and PageTemplate instance, where I'm supposed to get that canvas ? Maybe BaseDocTemplate and PageTemplate are just high level containers for "something drawable" (something that needs something to draw on), so after organizing the document with BaseDocTemplate and PageTemplates I have to pass the "real" surface to the "real" elements ?

TIA,
  ngw

p.s. sorry for the long post