[reportlab-users] Patch: PIL images with ReportLab

Sam Hunter shunter at dbsupply.com
Thu Apr 28 14:10:32 EDT 2005

  I like the idea that all passed image references be acceptable to
ImageReader's constructor.  This could simplify things like the
PDFImageXObject class quite a bit.  It seems like things are already
somewhat set up in this way, but a few small connections are missing to
make the wrapping dissapear from user space alltogether.  In general, I
lean towards writing  objects so that they handle repetitive tasks for
me automatically.  In a document with a lot of images, wrapping each
ends up being kind of repetitive.  I find that having the object do it
automatically keeps me from forgetting and having problems later (Python
IS the lazy programmer's language right?).  It would also undoubtedly
cut down on confusion if users could pass most of the more common image
types dirrectly to drawImage().  In my searches for a solution to this
problem I've found a lot of posts asking how to do this.

  I am no expert on Python imaging libraries, but it seems like PIL is
the biggest by far.  ImageReader already uses it as the default handler
for anything that isn't JPEG.  If support for other things is needed it
should not be too difficult to build that support into ImageReader to
centralize special cases and avoid having them spread throughout the
code as you rightly want to avoid.  As far as I can tell, ImageReader
already supports everything that the other image methods need, so it
seems like a natural choice as container for all types of image.

what do you think?

Sam