[reportlab-users] General newbie questions

Thu, 30 Sep 2004 10:04:49 +0100

Bernard Cagalj wrote:
> Hallo !
>
> First of all congratulations for this great library !!
>
> I installed the open source library and now I am trying to find my way
> through the documentations and the faq:
>
> 1. Image support
>
> If I install PIL (what I did), does the reportlab-lib support all image
> formats that are supported by PIL ?
> I need to convert generated chart graphics from php-script using the gdlib.

We try to convert to something that PDF can use. It seems to work OK for RGB,
but I think we get CMYK only for JPEG.

> 2. Table of contents
>
> For less complex PDF's we used sometimes HTMLDOC (Generation of PDF out of
> plain HTML). Since there are limitations in the design and data-structure it
> is not suitable for more complex projects. Rml2pdf closes these gaps. But a
> very powerful option of HTMLDOC is to generate automatically a TOC (and the
> clickable Navigation tree in Acrobat-Reader) from the headings <h1>..<h n>.
>
> Is there any similar function or workaround from reportlab. I did not find
> anything in the documentation.

It is possible to generate TOC's.

> 3. Fonts
>
> Can I enable normal TTF Fonts for use ? (I did not understand everything
> from the faq. What is exactly to do ?)

Rml2pdf does ttf, but there are presently issues with encodings

> 4. SWF Graphics
>
> Is there any way to render Flash-SWF graphics ?

I'm not sure what flash graphics are unless we're talking the plugin for
browsers. We don't do that.