[reportlab-users] Embedding All Fonts

Andy Robinson reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 23:44:13 +0100

> Is there anyway to force reportlab to embed all fonts, including the
> built-in ones?
>
> My document is going to a print-on-demand machine that requires all fonts
> (including Helvetica and so on).

I believe your print-on-demand machine violates the PDF specification,
which states clearly that all devices should support the 14 standard
font names, as well as Postscript traditions.  I admit that angrily
waving the spec at your print shop is unlikely to help :-(

I suggest that you find Type 1 font files, name them 'Helvetica2' or
something if you really want Helvetica, and declare them as
EmbeddedType1Font objects.  Or use TrueType.  The only problem now is
that each page begins with an instruction to select Helvetica as
a default, even if it is not used, which will force it to be
included; this may or may not confuse your printer.  I believe
another user had this problem recently.

Since this has come up twice, we could put it an option to disable all
the builtins, but I would be more  comfortable if I knew more about which
applications or printers demanded this, AND if we had a repeatable way to
test things.  I'm nervous adding features we can't easily test for.
What's the printer, and do you have access to it for testing?

- Andy