[reportlab-users] Reportlab, Zope, and Large/Long Reports

Michael Mauws reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 13:16:18 -0600

Does anyone know of a How-To document that explains what I need to do to
avoid having large reports temporarily(?) cripple my Zope instance? I've
surfed through the archives of this list and found a posting or two (e.g.,
http://two.pairlist.net/pipermail/reportlab-users/2004-March/002782.html)
that suggest something needs to be done, but it's not obvious to me WHAT it
is that needs to be done.

Just to clarify, everything runs fine when I launch a short report (e.g., an
invoice) from within Zope, presumably because it's generated quickly enough
that other users aren't inconvenienced. But when I generate a looooooooong
report (e.g., an inventory listing), everyone else is effectively locked out
of the site.

I'm assuming the solution lies with somehow generating the PDF in the
background but as much as I hate to admit it, I don't know how to accomplish
that. So if someone can give me some guidance in this regard, it will be
very much appreciated...

...michael