[reportlab-users] Large table cells

Saimun Cheng reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Fri, 10 Sep 2004 00:02:43 -0700

test

-----Original Message-----
From: reportlab-users-admin@reportlab.com on behalf of Andy Robinson
Sent: Fri 9/10/2004 2:58 PM
To: reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Subject: RE: [reportlab-users] Large table cells
=20
> Tables in RL quite sucks yet. This is just simple grid with no support =
of
> cell/colspan (attempts to support this are still too weak).=20

We do support row and column spanning and use it all the time;
what we don't support is intelligent 'line removal' around the
spanned cells.  I should also point out that we had different
design goals to HTML tables, one of which is speed on things
like financial and database tables; the HTML table algorithm
and CSS model for every edge of every cell is inherently slow.
There is also a more serious problem:  paper doesn't have scrollbars.

> RL does not support splitting one cell over the pages.

True.
>=20
> Second suggestion:=20
>   Buy Pisa from Spirito.de :-) They support cell.../colspan
> and other goodness.

Maybe someone could pound on Dirk to contribute this as a change
from pounding on me to release PageCatcher :-)
>=20
> Third suggestion:=20
>   Throw away RL and use Java... (bad solution, btw).

Which Java library does tables well enough?
>=20
> Fourth suggestion:=20
>   Pay for me or RL guys and we will develope it better.

How about giving the group a time estimate?  I may be
missing some critical insight, as I currently believe that
a workable HTML-like table renderer meeting everyone's
constraints would be at least several months' work...

- Andy

Disclaimer: The information contained in this transmission, including =
any attachments, may contain confidential information of Matsushita =
Avionics Systems Corporation.  This transmission is intended only for =
the use of the addressee(s) listed above.  Unauthorized review, =
dissemination or other use of the information contained in this =
transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this =
transmission in error or have reason to believe you are not authorized =
to receive it, please notify the sender by return email and promptly =
delete the transmission