[reportlab-users] Table entries with VALIGN=MIDDLE are not correct

Tim Roberts reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Mon, 04 Oct 2004 15:46:36 -0700

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 21:54:48 +0100, "Andy Robinson" <andy@reportlab.com>
wrote:

>Thanks for this patch.  Yes, looking at the code we had
>obviously failed to account for font size in the middle
>case.  I checked in the "pleasant" one.

Much obliged.

After spending an intense weekend with ReportLab, I am reminded yet
again how much FUN it is to work with.  I have been burdened with an
enormous Access database for our square dance community; 50 tables in
the back-end, 140 queries and 170 reports in the front-end.  Today, it
requires a Terminal Server system to operate.  Bit by bit, so to speak,
I am reproducing all of the Access reports in Python and ReportLab; my
eventual goal is to operate the entire thing over the web and dump
Terminal Server.  Once I've done THAT, I can move the back-end to
Postgres and dump Windows completely.

It also reinforced to me just how hard it is to produce good printed
output in HTML.  With just a couple of relatively minor tweaks, HTML
could become a universal reporting solution.  As it is now, with careful
use of CSS, you can get very consistent results in displayed output,
even across different browsers, but printed output is an entirely
different story.

--
- Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.