[reportlab-users] Table of Contents and Chapter Numbers

Ashley Lloyd reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Mon Nov 15 09:56:10 EST 2004

Morning all,

I'm a newbie - so please bear with me ...

I want to add a Table of Contents to a pdf document. I see there is a
"tableofcontents.py" in platypus, but attempting to use this I just get
something like "placeholder for TOC" printed on the front page.

It will obviously be easy enough to build up a table of contents in a
seperate variable while building up the rest of the document, then print the
TOC onto the document before the story. But I can't see how I could
determine what page any section would be on, before it has actually been
added to the document.

Secondly, every time I generate a document, the chapter numbers incremement
- so the first time I generated it the chapter numbers were 1-4, then 5-8
the second time, etc. I'm currently on 121-124 I think!

Any constructive advice will be gratefully received. I know I'm being quite
vague, so if any more information is needed, please ask.

Thanks in advance
Ashley