[reportlab-users] Can't setFont(Times-Roman) missing the T1 files?

Dinu Gherman reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 11:40:15 +0100

Andy Robinson:

> The new version of Reader and Distiller (6) hide all the files
> in some compressed archive.  Acrobat 4 and 5 had them in plain
> view.  It's a pain.

It certainly is, but Adobe isn't the only source for font files.
One can also use GhostScript and even TeX distributions in order
to make use of font files (hopefully also the standard 14 ones).

I haven't checked for a while, but a quick look into my teTeX
installation indicates it contains Adobe fonts, too, although
I could find only AFM files. These are more distributed across
many subfolder, though, and I wonder if the font search logic
adopted in RL is able to find them all...? Unfortunately, I've
got no time to check now.

Just an idea: a font demo script generating a sample page which
indicates and uses all fonts found on the system would be a big
plus! ;-)

Also, some fool-proof manual addendum describing interactions
between RL, Adobe/GS/TeX installations, different font formats,
the font search mechanism, and, last but not least renderPM
would be nice, too - well, unless it's already there. Again,
no time to check.

Dinu

--
Dinu C. Gherman - http://python.net/~gherman
"It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level."