[reportlab-users] open_for_read and Window file paths

Tim Roberts reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Thu, 03 Jun 2004 09:57:37 -0700

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 08:59:56 +0100, Robin Becker <robin@reportlab.com>
wrote:

>too much sense. This is a running sore. Theoretically we should be only
>be using file: for local files, but that's probably too much of a pain
>for most people.
>
>When urlopen fails we should certainly fall back to using the full name.
>Can anyone think of a reliable rule for legal schemes that we should allow?

No valid schemes consist of a single character, whereas all DOS disk
drive prefixes do.  I would consider that to be 100% reliable.

It doesn't help with Mac paths, as someone else pointed out.

--
- Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.