[reportlab-users] Need to append two pdf's together &/or append pages to the end of an existing PDF file.

Jerome Alet reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Fri, 9 Jul 2004 09:06:19 +0200

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 01:34:24AM +0100, Andy Robinson wrote:
> > from reading the PDF language documentation, this shouldn't be
> > too difficult to do for simple page management.
> >

> It looks like it isn't too hard and you might get away with
> the obvious approach for simple documents.
>
> But if you want to correctly cover all cases, including one
> page referring to other forms nested N levels deep; one document
> referencing a different subset of a font than another; all
> possible naming clashes between resources in the two PDFs; and lots
> of other wrinkles, then its actually rather hard.  Not to mention
> finding other sources of PDFs that don't work quite like Adobe's -
> we've recently had fun with OpenOffice output.
>
> The only safe approach is to fully parse and 'cross-reference' the PDFs
> you are slurping in and check every data structure against the
> PDF spec.  You may have noticed that there are not
> many open source PDF libraries which do this - it's not easy!

Of course it's not easy, and PageCatcher seems to be really powerful,
I didn't want to say it was easy to do, that's why I wrote
"for simple page management"

I'll send you a mail privately to talk about the project I'm
working on (very slowly)

bye

Jerome Alet