[reportlab-users] Is ReportLab suitable for this task?

Jerome Alet reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 18:10:47 +0100

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 07:28:51AM -0900, deyoung@gci.net wrote:

> 2)  We need two kinds of outputs, 1) a file for the printer, and 2)
> individual PDFs for import into the COLD/imaging system.  For the printer
> file, we need a file with enough statements to use 5,000 pieces of paper (so
> the operators can just load a box of paper per file).  Could the printer
> file be just one 5000 page PDF or does that become too large for ReportLab
> to handle in memory?  How would you handle this?

FYI I've created a document of 13000 pages with a logo and full page
of text in french and english, with colored text, etc... with no
problem at all. It had to read and write datas to a PostgreSQL server
for each page.

Of course, instead of putting the logo and the constant text on each
page, I've just created a PDF form and repeated the form on each page
with the varying information added.

Works like a charm on my PII 350 with 384 Mb RAM, it takes maybe
two minutes (I don't remember exactly)

Hoping this give you an idea of RL's performance.

Jerome Alet
--
"A non-free program is a predatory social system that keeps people
in a state of domination and division, and uses the spoils to