[reportlab-users] an idea...

Uwe C. Schroeder reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 00:11:48 -0800

Well, "twain" is probably not the best thing - AFAIK it's only available on=
=20
M$. But the basic idea isn't a bad one. I'm actually using a converter from=
=20
OpenOffice XML format to python/reportlab code. It's pretty basic at this=20
time and doesn't really catch all the stuff Oo can do, but it works.
Being able to create a form from a scanned image might be good for the clas=
sic=20
"download and fill in by hand" approach and would save a lot of=20
"retypesetting" of existing paper forms.
The problem I see is the text on the form. Recognizing points from shapes=20
should be much easier to do, however you'd also have to recognize the text=
=20
via some OCR stuff. I haven't seen any really usable OCR software that's=20
freely available - and even the commercial ones are pretty scarce on Linux.

My $0.02

UC