[reportlab-users] Reportlab Advocacy

Carl Waldbieser reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:30:23 -0500

Is there any kind of Advocacy page/group/list for Reportlab?  I have found
working with this tool to be extremely useful and I suggest it to collegues,
but they often want to know how it compares to other contemporary report
writing tools, many of which I am not familiar with.

Aside from more general Python advocacy, can someone direct me to
information that differentiates Reportlab from products (especially on
Windows platforms) like Active Reports (Data Dynamics) and Crystal Reports
(Crystal Solutions?).  While I have had some some experience with the former
product, I must say that I felt that Reportlab was the superior tool.
Reportlab offered a more "free-form" aproach to layout, while Active Reports
definitely made me feel somewhat constrained as to what I was able to
accomplish.  Also, when working directly with clients to determine exactly
what they want, the fact that the development tools were not available on
the customer's machine tended to bog down my responsiveness in making minor
changes.

Does anyone else have similar experiences to relate?

Thanks,
Carl Waldbieser
waldbie@attglobal.net