[reportlab-users] Noob Instancing Question (no FAQ?)

Ian Sparks reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 18:04:32 -0500

Look in the manual under "Forms". You basically do this :

canvas.beginForm("myformname")
canvas.draw....do all your drawing actions here, it's going to the =
"form"
canvas.endForm()

now whenever you want to draw a "myformname" you just :

canvas.doForm("myformname")

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian [mailto:reportlab-user@agon.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 5:54 PM
To: reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Subject: [reportlab-users] Noob Instancing Question (no FAQ?)

I'm a complete noob on this list, so apologies if the question is =
perennial
(is there a FAQ?).

I have a document containing several hundred very similar diagrams. Each
consists of a handful of symbols plotted on a rather complex grid. The =
grid
is identical in all diagrams. Having several hundred bloats the file =
size,
however, into the megabyte range.

I'd like to do something like in SVG, where you define a 'symbol' which =
can
then be instanced many times without duplicating all the drawing code =
each
time. I should be able to save nearly 2 meg if I can do this.

Question is, can I?

Ian.