[reportlab-users] Vector Graphics

Tim Roberts reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:36:18 -0700

I fear that I'm going to sound like a terrible whiner in this message.

I like to have complete control over the things I print.  That's why I'm
such a big fan of ReportLab.  However, some of the things I do need
high-quality vector graphics, such as what you would product with
Micrografx Designer or Adobe Illustrator.  I have not had good luck in
importing images from these packages into ReportLab.  To demonstrate how
far I go, for one project., I actually took the .EPS output from
Designer, and wrote a Python script to translate the PostScript commands
to ReportLab calls, all so I could do the fine-grained tweaking that I want.

My question is this: what do the rest of you do when you need vector
graphics in your ReportLab documents?  My luck with EPS import has been
dreadful.  Does that work for others?  Converting to JPG is almost
always unsatisfactory.  SVG looks like a good option, but I don't think
the tools are there yet.  I have half-considered writing a little Python
tool to create lines and Beziers, which would generate Python/Reportlab
code on the other end.  Anybody have any tools like that?

--
- Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.