[reportlab-users] Documentation and "something for nothing"

Andy Robinson reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 22:43:40 +0100

There have been a growing number of posts pointing out that
our documentation is out of date (and in this I include
documentation about setting up on Linux).  They are right.

Unfortunately, we are a small and self funded team with a
project list as long as our arms and we just don't have the
size or pockets to justify developers working on improved
documentation systems, or formalising and testing a "public API",
which will sadly make zero difference to our bottom line.

However, the full source to the documentation IS available.
Ditto setup script and test cases.  Maybe a few of you would consider
spending some time contributing to these?

Looking further ahead, if people want the ReportLab Toolkit to
be extended to keep up with new font models, new features,
better documentation and so on, something has to change.
This could mean one of
(a) more community contribution
(b) switching to dual GPL/commercial licensing, so there is
a payback from having a well-documented API.

I would prefer (a), since this is the Python tradition. I am
happy to grant wider CVS access.  Now who has some time to help?

Best Regards,

Andy Robinson
CEO/Chief Architect
ReportLab Europe Ltd.