[reportlab-users] Reportlab and CMYK Images

Oliver Bleutgen reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 21:27:33 +0200

Andy Robinson wrote:
>>Can somebody give me a short overview about how Reportlab handles CMYK
>>images? I had a look at the source, but I'm not sure I got it right.
>>
>>It seems if I use a PIL Image instance, the image is always converted to
>>RGB, while jpeg files are not converted.
>>
>>On a related note, it seems there's no implementation in reportlab for
>>adding other types of images, is that right?
>

> There is certainly nothing in our library to help produce
> separations in the same way that Distiller or various
> prepres tools do.
> Help me understand what you want a bit better. Are you hoping to
> read in an arbitrary bitmap, include it in a CMYK document, and then
> have Quark or some other tool separate the image layers in the
> resulting PDF? Or something else?

No, I have already separated CMYK images and want to use a pdf just as a
container (for several images at once), which is then sent to a printer.
Therefore I need to guarantee that the images to be contained in the PDF
are not changed in the pdf building process.

PS: I sent another message to the list, seems it didn't come through,
will resend tomorrow.

cheers,
oliver