[reportlab-users] Is it possible to generate an "Image Map" about platypus objects while generating PDF?

Henning von Bargen reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 18:02:05 +0200

Hi,

and here is a tricky one...

Is it possible to generate some kind of "image map" with information about
platypus objects
while building the document?
What I want to do is something like this:

Say I have a long document generated using platypus (and the platypus
source script itself has been generated automatically from database data)
like this
1 import ....
2 # Story starts here
3 h1 ('Chapter One')
4 h2 ('The arrival')
5 para ('It was a cold day...')
6 # Story ends here
7 # Now generate the PDF document
8 build_doc()

Now I take a look at it and I see that I want to insert some explanatory
paragraphs
and I'd like to change some values inside a table.
So I click with the mouse somewhere in the displayed PDF output.
I have the page number and X/Y coordinates.

Now I need a function sourceinfo: (pageno,x,y) |-->  (sourcefile, lineno)
that would enable me to point the cursor inside the script editor to the
corresponding line.

Is it possible? AFAIK something similar is possible with LaTeX and xdvi.

This would simplify modification of RL generated PDF files for power-users
who
are able to work with a text editor but not to code a python program.

BTW the same idea would be applicable to editing RML source.

Henning