[reportlab-users] Font finding issue in CGI vs. command-line scripts

Dinu Gherman reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 18:42:27 +0200

Robin Becker:

> sorry then Dinu I can't help on the why of the non findable fonts. Is
> /Users one of those strange virtual things? I seem to remember using
> /users as well as /Users and being surprised they are the same.

This is what I found about that issue (rumours have it that Panther,
OS X 10.3, will have fully case-sensitive file access):

   http://www.ucar.edu/pipermail/macusers/2003q3/000043.html

> The only fix for that would be to make the user always add a font or to
> make the font loading lazy in some way. The latter is probably better,
> but is arguably quite dangerous ie the system state could change
> between
> the setFont and the need to actually load the font.

Yes, I also thought of lazy font loading. I remember Aaron used to
write tons of lazy code. Maybe you can ask him for help...?

Dinu

--
Dinu C. Gherman
"It was wonderful to find America, but it would have been more wonder-