[reportlab-users] Problem with row&column spanning code not calculating table heights

David Fraser reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 20:24:30 +0200

Robin Becker wrote:

>In article <3F8EA6F2.50001@sjsoft.com>, David Fraser <davidf@sjsoft.com>
>writes
>

>>Robin Becker wrote:

>>I wonder if it would be helpful, when dealing with something that spans
>>rows & columns, to consider area as the variable in the linear programming.
>>
>>Just a thought
>>David
>>

>..... I'm fairly sure we don't actually need to do linear programming to
>solve this restricted problem ie find required row & column sizes. The
>optimisation if any applies to layout.

Right. my thought was just for the case where you have a mixture of
column-spanning and row-spanning, that you could calculate the total
area required to display the contents, and then use that to limit the
height and width when working out the layout.
But I really should re-read all these discussions properly before
suggesting things...

David