[reportlab-users] Problem with encoding in PythonPoint

Andy Robinson reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 16:05:59 -0000

> Hello,
> First I thanks for very interesting open source solution.
> I'm newbie in PythonPoint and I have problem with encoding
> nation specific characters.
> I set header <?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1250" ?>
> in my source xml document, but generated PDF still contains
> only some bushes.
> I tried to generate documents with nation specific characters
> by reportlab web site
> (http://www.reportlab.com/pp_demo.html), but the generated
> pdf did contained only 2 chars from 18...
>
> What should I doing?

There is a more specific problem here:  Acrobat Reader does
not include a unicode font by default.  It is necessary
first to make sure you have a font which contain the
characters, and register the font in a piece of Python code.
See the Fonts chapter in the main ReportLab user guide;
you can use TrueType or Type 1.  We also support Asian
languages presuming you have the Acrobat Asian font packs
installed.

PythonPoint is really dumb - the encoding header has no effect
at all.  You need to pass in data in your input file in the same
encoding as the font.

I hope this helps,

Andy Robinson