[reportlab-users] RE: tag handling in paragraphs

Henning von Bargen reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Fri, 30 May 2003 12:09:07 +0200

Robin Becker wrote:
> We have an alternate para class which logically should be brought in
> line with paragraph.

There seems to be a lot of interest in improving "Paragraph"
(...although it IS very good already :-)
Maybe the time has come now to decide about the future
of paragraph.py and para.py.

I think we should concentrate development effort on one of them.
The first step should be a test if the documents generated by the
test suite are the same when we replace paragraph.py with para.py.
Then explain existing differences (including speed?),
let the majority decide on which version to concentrate development.

Maybe even rename para.py -> paragraph.py -> old_paragraph.py ?

> Ideally I would prefer to factor out the logic for these translations
> and allow people to determine their own preferred set of things to has
> as entities. If we do Latin-1, someone will demand their own things.

Would be nice, too.
The question is here how to define your own entities (as a dict?)
and how to inform the XML parser about them.

Henning