[reportlab-users] Platypus XML markup suggestion

Fri, 23 May 2003 18:19:40 +0100

In article <006f01c3210b$f68787e0$271f11ac@zwerschke>, Christoph
Zwerschke <zwerschke@zuv.uni-heidelberg.de> writes
>> I assume that these are unicode standard values for these symbols
>> are these unique? Are there standard names as well?
>
>Yes, they are unique and standardized. According to the XML 1.0 standard,
>the ISO/IEC 10646 character set (also known as UCS and actually the same as
>Unicode) is the reference.
>
>There are standard names as well, but only a handful is predefined in XML.
>XML requires a DTD to define more named entities for XML. I think there is
>no XML standard for these names, but there are standard names defined with
>HTML 4 which should also be used for XML, see:
>http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/sgml/entities.html
>
>The names for the greek characters are basically the same as those defined
>in paraparser.py, but the names for the variants are different. For
>instance, there are two vartiants of the greek letter sigma, the normal
>"sigma" and the variant used at the end of the word ("final sigma"),
>designated as "sigmav" in paraparser.py, but it is "sigmaf" according to the
>HTML 4 standard.
>
>Christoph Zwerschke
..... I'm a bit unhappy to use HTML names as many of them refer to the
0-255 range and will cause confusion unless the mappings are identical.
There are also a bunch of names used by Adobe internally. Let's wait a
couple of days and see if anyone objects. I would like to be fairer wrt
to the specials so this is certainly a good patch.