[reportlab-users] Relative indents, nested lists and reST

Andy Robinson reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Tue, 6 May 2003 22:03:52 +0100

> just fyi the "new para" implementation did this already.

I know, and your test script gives very good illustrations,
but I don't think it can currently do a table or a chart
in the middle of a paragraph.  It seems natural
to me that we should be able to use our existing
concepts of paragraph styles and numbering for these
nested lists, and just 'step them in and out'.

Paragraph is too specific a name for what you've
written; it might be better described as a 'textWriter'
or something, since it handles line breaks and
nested lists.  I really hope to generalize this out
in version 2.0 as it could actually be 'part of the
layout engine' rather than 'just being for paragraphs'.

Another related good idea we had once was to define a
'section' within a document which can locally redefine parts
of  the stylesheet, and/or carry descriptive attributes.
It's quite possible our "story" might turn from a
list into a 'tree of nested containers' at some point, which
would make the distinction moot.

thanks,

Andy