[reportlab-users] ActionFlowable usage

reportlab-users@reportlab.com reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 16:43:17 +0100 (CET)

Hi

I am discovering the excellent platypus and pdf package.

I wanted to print a dictionnary like header where the header is
the first word of the text printed on the page, and used
for this an ActionFlowable object, since as I understood onpage
hooks passed to pageTemplates cannot be datadriven.

it works but the documents prints everything on a single page
instead of moving forward.

here is what I did:

class report(BaseDocTemplate):
   def handle_pageBegin(self,text=''):
     self._handle_pageBegin()
     self.canv.saveState()
     my stuff print text
     self.canv.restoreState()

then from time to time I add a

ActionFlowable(action=('pageBegin',text to print))

to the list of flowables

at the end I call

report().build(list of flowables)

if I do not append an ActionFlowable, everything prints fine
except of course my datadriven header.

If I inserts the ActionFlowables, everything prints fine
including my datadriven header, but all one a single page.

I insert the Action Flowable everytime I want to ensure the
header of the next page will be text passed to Actionflowable
constructor.

but it fails.... though I call the superclass pageBegin before
adding my stuff

anybody knows why ? or how to achieve data driven header ?

thanks

pascal