[reportlab-users] RE: Creating Large PDF Files

Dinu Gherman reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 17:03:41 +0100

Engel, Gregory:

> Occasionally, a single report can be 500+ MB and contain 90,000 pages.
>  Our clients are fortune 100 companies with millions of customers.
> These reports are related to services provided to these customers.
> While I had originally proposed chopping the data up into "chapters",
> the customers were not interested.  What they want is the ability to
> view on screen what they normally have shipped to them in paper form
> on several pallets each month.  Saving trees, yes.  But they were not
> to answers who would actually need to view this much data at once.
> Since they are paying the bills, the point was not pressed.

I'd ask them two simple questions: 1) What evidence is there
that any desktop PC (probably the target systems) running
a PDF viewer would be able to load and handle a non-trivial
document with 90,000 pages? 2) What response times do they
expect when searching for content in such files?

Dinu

--
Dinu C. Gherman
"No one has ever had an idea in a dress suit."