[reportlab-users] Plans for fonts

Andy Robinson reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Sun, 27 Jul 2003 22:17:06 +0100

I'm just following on to a major point raised in this thread.
One of the biggest "things to fix" in the next few months
seems to be font support.  As you all know we have slightly
different APIs for using TrueType and Type 1 fonts when
making PDFs, deficiencies/non-obvious stuff with 'font families',
and we can't use TrueType fonts at all in bitmaps.  Our rough plan
is to adapt RenderPm to use FreeType, and I guess we should concurrently
look at support for OpenType in new Acrobat Reader versions.
One great bit is news is that Adobe Reader 6.0 seems to have
support for Asian fonts built in.  And some Unicode support
seems essential, and also possible if we have agreed to
use 2.x going forward.

This is a tall order but needs fixing as the world is moving on.
If anyone can suggest nice models or semantics for registering/
finding fonts which work well in practice and we can study,
please let me know...

- Andy