[reportlab-users] SVG Tools?

Dinu Gherman reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 06:14:29 +0200

Tim Roberts:

> I would like to begin digging into SVG.  I like the idea of using a
> single
> vector format for both print and web use.  I'm guessing that the
> ReportLab
> audience and the SVG audience probably overlaps a fair amount.
>
> Are any of you doing SVG work?  What are the right tools to use for
> creating
> SVGs in a graphical way?  I suspect Adobe Illustrator is probably a
> good choice
> -- it's always been  good vector tool, albeit expensive.  Jasc WebDraw
> is also
> supposed to be good.  Are there any good free tools?

Being on the run, I've got only little time to respond, but yes,
I'm using SVG occasionally have written most of the RLG to SVG
conversion in RLTK and the other direction, SVG to RLG, is avail-
able here: http://python.net/~gherman/#svglib (my EPC2002 presen-
tation there, makes extensive use of SVG).

Now you surely know, that SVG comprises a *huge* amount of things
and so, svglib aim at supporting only the most important, non-
exotic features.

There are *many* SVG editors out there and I'm planning a simple
one of my own breed, but that's months away. AI is certainly a good
choice. OTOH, there's only a few, if not just one serious complete
SVG viewer by Adobe, which is why SVG as a format is still somewhat
academic, compared to Flash...

BTW, here's a very impressive dynamic, interactive, animated SVG
chart of the German population pyramid from 1950-2050:

   http://www.destatis.de/basis/d/bevoe/bev_svg2.htm

Regards,

Dinu

--
Dinu C. Gherman
"The only thing to do with good advice is pass it on; it is never