[reportlab-users] Making Forms

Tim Roberts reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 09:28:39 -0800

I have to design a rather complicated form (a traditional paper form, NOT an
Acrobat form) for use by a national convention.  One of the constraints is that
the form has to be partly based on the work of PREVIOUS conventions, so that
delegates aren't confused with something brand new.  I've been struggling with
Visio, trying to get it exactly the way I want, but it wasn't right, and it
certainly wasn't easy.

I decided to give it a shot in ReportLab, since I've had such good luck with it
elsewhere.  After designing a few classes to do checkboxes and other fill-in
fields in an automated way, I'm pleased to say the results are excellent.  I
have much more flexibility than with Visio, I have the ability to tweak things
to a microscopic degree, and most importantly, I have the ability to reuse
parts of the page without having to reinvent the wheel each time.  I was even
able to integrate a bit of Platypus to do some flowed text on the back page.

The back of the form is not quite finished yet, and I'm sure we will need to
tweak the fonts for consistancy, but if you're curious to see what can be
accomplished with 800 lines of Python/ReportLab/Platypus, look at
http://www.probo.com/timr/form.pdf.

Thank you for a fabulously useful product.

--
- Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.